Sunday, June 15, 2008

1700 Miles Into the Race

Hello from Fort Collins, KS. We are approximately 1700 miles into the race. Let's see how to update. I had to end up sending out an email cause my computer wouldn't let me in. So i'm on another computer so I can't post my pictures. So let's see if I can put together a recap!!
Yesterday we crossed the panhandle of Ok. The scenery wasn't even that bad. I'm trying to recall the times. Sleep deprivation is just killing me. All the times and places run together. Looking at the pictures helps me to remember. I can't even recall the entire day tomorrow I will let you know what I do remember. I think we drove from hmmmmmmmmmmm i don't even know. I know I pulled a long night last night. We went out from like 1-7 this morning. That was through Kansas. So not bad cause it's boring Kansas. We did see a big skunk in the middle of the road. We thought Michele was gonna get sprayed. We saw some deer and lots of rabbits. oh and kitties. So then we ended in Pratt, KS. The McDonalds was the Time station. They gave us free food. The night was crazy. I didn't get much sleep before then so I was tired and by 5am I was nuts. Just ask poor Andrew who was stuck in the car with me. We were laughing at everything and I was so punchy I was crying. So after that and breakfast. I went to bed with two benedryls. My goal was to sleep longer than two hours. I made it about 3 or so hours. I didn't have to sleep in the death coffin bunk. I got the bigger middle bunk. So i felt rested. We went out for a run through Kansas. I think we were out for 4 hours. My riders made really good time averaging 17 mph. So to understand it we ride from Time station to Time station. The hours depends on the mileage and weather conditions. So sometimes we go out for 4 hours and today we did 64 miles in that time. And other times we go longer last night on our big pull we did 109 miles. So it just depends on where the time station is located and how the riders and crew are feeling. Then we had some down time. I laid in a bunk and tried to nap for a while. We thought this was going to be a short break, but the riders out are struggling. The winds are really picking up and there should be some storms. they are averaging 14mph. We communicate with cb radios between the three vehicles. then we have a loud speaker mounted outside the vans. that's where I get into trouble. We talk to the riders giving updates and warning them oabout trucks and stuff. Steve is a jokeer and has saluted me several times over my smart ass comments.
It's so hard to explain the details. it's so complicated, but yet has all fallen into place. We missed one turn, but we were only off course about a half a mile, but taht was a bad pull for us. We have not really had any problems thus far....and we hope it continues that way.
Yes I have taken 100s of pictures. It's funny thought cause when not in a van i'm on the bus sleeping aso i miss a lot of the scenery. I've found that I feel better if I sleep when we are moving. I feel the constant pull of gravity on my body...we are in constant movement. i'm hoping upon return home that I'm able to sleep more than two hours at a time. Is truggled a bit with the motion of the prevost at first but sleeping when moving is better for me.
Through the mountains I struggled with dehydration. See during the day when I'm in the follow vehicle we can leave our rider uncovered in order to go to the bathroom. Now the rules change at night. The rider must always be covered. So nite time I don't usually get to go to the bathroom. I don't want to drink when i'm in the van and I don't want to drink when I'm on the bus cause I want to sleep. It's tough to figure this all out. I was having some headaches, but now that we are out of the mountains...I'm feeling better!!!
Tomorrow we are predicted to get to St. Louis. The St. louis Time station in by the Clark bridge in alton. there is a gas station prior to the bridge. We will be in there. If you want to come cheer us on and see us...come on by. Predictions say between noon and two...if you want to know as we get closer...call the cell 314 814 5839 AT alton will will have 2000 miles in and are 2/3 of the way finished.

take care
judy

No comments: