Thursday, June 12, 2008

Race Day 1

OK here's where blogging will probably get a little more tricky!!
Ohh I made sure to get a photo of me by the bus..I'm in my team shirt!! I hope you are happy to see a photo of me...probably won't see many more. Now starts not too many showers and really bad hair!!
We went to the start line to watch our team set off.
The sun was out and it was a beautiful day!!
Great day for a bicycle race. All the teams were outfitted to ride.
There is this team from Wisconsin...they made or bought aero helmets that look like cheese heads complete with the holes.
Oh I had to come back to mention that Tyler Hamilton sat two rows behind me at the start!!
So after the ceremonial start the riders parade past and go to the actual start.
Janet and I ran well ok you know better Ididn't run!! We walked down a ways
We saw this photographer who climbed up this wooden covering over the road to get his shots!!
We cheered and yelled to all the teams going by!!
After that we proceeded to the Prevost!!
We began the ride...I sat in the front and started downloading pictures and checking email.
We went through this mountain section. Sean, our driver, said it was a really tough route.
Then began my downfall.
It all started with a headache, so I took some advil. Then began the quesy, so I ate some crackers. That was followed by a, "Hey do you have a trashbag?" Then a dash to the back bedroom to lay down. Ohh and i found a trashcan!! This was not a wise choice. I laid on the bed and rode the bumps....OHH OHH not good.
We finally arrived at our timestation checkpoint. I announced that I had to go to bed.
Someone went and found me some dramamine (sp) Took that and got over my fear of the bunks. I slept for a while and woke up feeling a bit better!!
The next section of the ride I still had to stay on the Prevost!! OH crap
I sat up front next to the driver adn for dinner I ate some plain noodles.
About 10 pm CA time it was finally my chance to get out on the open road!!
I got to navigate the follow van. Clyde was the driver.
We had an 88 mile route that was to take us about 4.5 hours!!
Now that's all good and we were excited to hit the road.
We start out and it's great!!
The first exchange was really bad and it was my fault!!
It's really hard to tell the difference in the teams at nite and I wasn't fully paying attention I was messing around on the CB radio with thebus driver.
After a mild piece of my ass being chewed off, I survived and became totally focused.
When you follow you can do nothing but concentrate
We were doing exchanges every 8 miles.
We were in the middle of the desert...ya know the desert you see on tv with nothing aroun for miles...that's where we were!
We arrived at the TS (time station) at 2":35
I had a PBJ and went to bed!!
I slept in the bottom bunk for about two hours
The way i keep going to sleep is to listen to my ipod so I'm never even sure if I am really sleeping
We are at TS 5 in Congress, AZ.
We completed one state now 12 to go I believe.
I got up to do this while we were not moving and now I think I'm going to lay down again!!
Imagine that I'm tired!!
Ok I was done but something happened so funny i about peed my pants and that would not be a good thing especially since I've been in the same pair of shorts for three days now!!
So Clyde is about 65 and he's on my team, so we had all gone to bed and I was first up!!
I'm sitting here just a typing away and I'm facing the bunk room. I hear this thud!! I'm thinkin o shit someone fell out!! The door opens up and there's Clyde in his tighty whities and a t-shirt only they are not tighty whities they are blues! It's a hot look...and he says well i didn't wanna see you sitting there....well what the hell are you doing sleepin in yur drawers and coming out where everone is half naked!! So he goes in the bathroom and Brenda walks out from sleeping and sits across the table from me. Sean is laying on the couch. Cldye walks out in his bringin sex back outfit and says, "There's water on the floor." And walks to the bunk room. Janet, sean and I bust out laughing..I think the delierum (sp)mite be setting in early!!
So I hope all is well and everyone is doing great!!
It's not letting me publish my photos....I will try a differnt way

1 comment:

Nabor Dan said...

I hope you're feeling better now.

Once you get into the flow of things I'm sure it will be totally smooth.

Keep up the posts. There great!

- D2